To start things off today, I need to take a survey based on a VERY heated dinner argument:
Now that that's out of the way, here are some things I did today:
1. Breakfast at 7 ~ Honestly, 7 a.m. does not feel early here. My sleep schedule is super healthy. Mostly because we're all tuckered out by the end of every day. I think it's because of all the salt water, but super delayed jet lag could possibly play a part of it.
2. Low tide fish surveillance in the lagoon ~ We set transect lines (basically weighted measuring tapes) on the lagoon floor and took video footage of the entire line. Then we went back to the lab and watched the videos at a near-excruciatingly low speed to identify every fish that swam in the video. We can do that now because we proved our fish knowledge during the test yesterday.
3. Walk around the perimeter of the island ~ Holly and Riley and I followed the beach around the entire island. It's beautiful from every angle! It only took us about 40 minutes, and that included several stops to admire the fish and take cliche photos like these ones:
4. Lunch! ~ Incredible as always. Pat takes good care of us.
5. High tide fish surveillance in the lagoon ~ Same as low tide, but we did it in snorkel gear! It was really windy so we all bundled up in lots of swimsuit layers, but luckily the water wasn't too cold. They're actually predicting that we might get some rain tomorrow. I can't actually figure out how they predict the weather for a tiny island in the middle of a forgotten spot in the ocean.
6. Write a lab report ~ Classic. This was actually our last lab for the trip, I believe. Bean and I were partners today, and we did a pretty good job. Also we have matching rash guards, so that's pretty cute. After today, we're all working on our own research projects, so no time for labs! I really like labs though. They've all been really fun.
7. Dinner ~ Mmmmmmmmm
8. Not much else ~ It's been a really low-key kind of day. We spent some good time in our "book club", in which we all sit by the kitchen door and silently read separate books. It's a good time.
9. Wash my hair! ~ Honestly, it's become one of the highlights of my day. It's just so clean! No salt or ocean beasties to be found anywhere in these strands.
10. Bed time! ~ This is pretty much the end of the day for me. We are currently watching a movie, but I'm ready to hit the sack. It's been a good day for sure. I can't believe there are only six days left on the island! Time flies when you're constantly swimming.