We are all starting to work on our final projects now. I have a bad feeling about this scientific method stuff because we changed our question two or three times once we started. One of the hardest parts about starting a project is coming up with a good question. Brainstorming questions is fun because there are a lot of things we don't know about the ocean, but narrowing it down to something measurable was the trick. Tia and I eventually settled on an actual hypothesis. We did some background research and learned a lot about clams.
I'm sure the point of the research project is not to learn a lot about clams, but to get practice with the research process itself. I definitely feel like research is going to be a big part of my future but so far I have not done any legitimate formal research in the natural world. So even though we are hitting a few bumps along the way, we will learn from them and be much more familiar with the scientific process once we are done.
Data collection is my favorite step because we get to go out and swim hunting for clams. Finding clams is fun but we also find a lot of unexpected things. The zebra lionfish probably topped everything else. Luckily we didn't run smack into the middle of a congregation of sting rays like earlier his morning...
Tomorrow we will get to do some more data collection and we'll probably run into some more cool creatures out in the lagoon. For now all we have to focus on is staying on target so we can do some good science. I'm crossing my fingers for some more sunshine until then.